Sunday, June 22, 2008

First Things First


I'm taking a few days off this week - by myself...all alone...just me.

It's been an unusually hectic couple of months- with barely any breathing room in between commitments. I've gone from one major project to another without stopping: planning and executing major church fund raisers and a mother-daughter retreat, finishing the school year as the director of our home-school academy, overseeing graduation week and commencement/promotion for our school, spring cleaning the house to prepare for hosting out of town family for three weeks, having a houseful of 10 people, coming down with bronchitis for four weeks, going on a pastors & wives planning and evaluation retreat... and somewhere in there I was supposed to be cooking, cleaning, caring for my home and husband, training and homeschooling my children - as well as a host of other things.

During our evaluation retreat last week it was becoming quite evident that we are living with little to no margin in our lives right now which is resulting in stress, insomnia, and on-going health issues. So, when I ended up in "Triage" a couple of days ago, experiencing severe chest pains, and hooked up to an EKG machine, it was a loud wake up call that radical change needs to happen - now. (BTW - my heart is fine, I wasn't having a heart attack - apparently sharp, stabbing pain in your chest is a good sign!)

Every year, I try to take a personal retreat to evaluate my priorities - and take an honest look at how I'm doing with actually meeting them. Well, it's obviously time for me to do that - so that's what I'll be doing for the next few days. I'll be looking for ways to simplify my life and make sure the most important things are accomplished.

I will have 2-3 glorious days to be alone to think, pray, meditate, evaluate, adjust, plan and prepare my heart for the necessary changes that need to come in this next season.

Some tools I'll be using:

First Things First
Shopping for Time
Getting the Big Rocks In
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Women
Getting Things Done - David Allen

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.”
Aristotle

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Tami! I will be praying for you that God will meet you and give you rest!

tiffany marie said...

Well, finally! This is an answer to my prayers. Sorry you had to end up in triage I didn't pray for that part, promise, but for you to see how much rest you need- THAT is an answer to prayer. Girl you don't have to be a super hero, you already are cause you are an amazing mother and wonderful wife and a pretty cool sister. I can't loose you to stress or heart failure young lady, you're my maid of honor remember... oh wait did I just say that out loud? I mean that is IF I EVER GET MARRIED. Not that your health revolves around my needs and my life... but then again I am the youngest in the family and the needy one... and feel, as always, that my voice should be heard.. .ok so I'll shut up now and let you get back to resting. yeah, good idea.

tiffany marie said...

P.S. dont' stress yourself out reading all those books and thinking you have to live up to everyone's standards either! You want to eliviate pressure and stress. :-) My thought is that you have to do what works for you, your health issues, your body,etc. Just don't let those books cloud out or push out what God is trying to show you- there's no one formula right for everyone. K- it's just my unprofessional sisterly opinion
luv ya!

Anonymous said...

You have a sweet sister, Tami! Tiffany your encouragment is wonderful!